Sunday, March 23, 2008

Family Entertainment

It is unusual for my husband to get three whole days in a row off from work but it has happened this weekend. The girls are of course ecstatic and so I am but increased time at home always highlights our different parenting styles. Dan is generally more laid back than I am which I think is a good thing most of the time. I like to think that he is better at picking which battles to fight while I am better at picking up the mess after the fight. Meanwhile I tend to be more attentive - sometimes overly so - to the details. Like meal preparation, the children's personal hygiene, and television programming.

This morning Dan found the movie Donnie Darko on cable. I actually really like this movie, just maybe not on Saturday morning with toddlers in the room. It was a pretty innocuous scene which provided Dan the opportunity to point out that the girls weren't even paying attention. Still, I couldn't keep myself from suggesting that perhaps something on Nick Jr. might be more appropriate.

Of course once we are tuned into the Nick Jr. channel the girls are delighted to see that Yo Gabba Gabba is on. This is a show that I avoided when it first came on because the commercials themselves sort of weirded out me in a way that I can't explain. The black and green creature in particular turned me off. But the girls of course liked it and once I watched a few minutes it seemed kind of cheery and fun and the girls danced while they watched it. So I let them watch it now and then. Dan watched about two minutes of it and then declared that Donnie Darko would have been less disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment