Thursday, June 25, 2009

Authority

Rachel stands in the kitchen with a banana peel in her hand. There is a very small piece of banana remaining. Even though Dan is standing right next to her Rachel yells to me, "Mommy, I don't want this." Dan tells her to go ahead and put it in the trash. Rachel ignores him and repeats herself. "Mommy! I DON'T WANT this." Dan tells her again to put it in the trash. "MOMMY! I DON'T. WANT. THIS!"

"Rachel, listen to Daddy." She happily pitches the peel into the trash and dances away.

This is not new to Dan. I almost typed "poor Dan" right there but I really don't think he minds most of the time. The exception of course might be when it happens in public.

A few weeks ago Dan was outside with the girls when the neighbors asked Anna to join in some game. She immediately announced that she had to ask Mommy and started to run inside. When Dan pointed out that she could just ask him, Anna responded with "I have to go" and came to find me in the kitchen.

My favorite part of these moments is when I remind the girls that Daddy is just as in charge as Mommy - and they laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment